GJ Hunting Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Otter trapping

3 posters

Go down

Otter trapping Empty Otter trapping

Post by Bryce 21 Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:49 pm

Any of you guys ever do it. My Grandpa got a tag this year and we have found a place with a pretty good size otter. We have only caught one and that was a few years ago in the same spot as this one. Have any tips on trapping them. I'll keep you guys updated as season goes on. Found where he had holes going into the lake and set them with 220 yesterday but nothing today. I'll take a camera tommorrow to take a few pictures.
Bryce 21
Bryce 21
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

Otter trapping Empty Re: Otter trapping

Post by ray12 Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:36 am

Well I never was able to trap a place that had any otter sign but i do know that they are the coyote of the waters so stake them good they are tough animals! Would love to see some pics of the sets ..a strong #220 is what most otter trappers prefer to use !
ray12
ray12
Admin
Admin

https://gjhunting.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by garys Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:55 am

I know this post is old. I use 330s here pretty much exclusively. The only time I use anything else is footholds at toilets where a 330 won't work well. At the toilets I set a 1.75 or a #2 with 3 dirtholes that form a triangle around the trap. I center the pan in the middle of the triangle. Stake the trap VERY good and swivels are your friend. I have one at the trap, one in the middle and one at the stakes. I use crossed double stakes 18-24 inches long. I like the holes to be about 2-3 inches in diameter dug at 45 degree angles and about a foot deep. Put a meat based bait in one, a gland lure in one, and a long distance call lure in the other one. Doesn't seem to matter which lure goes in which hole. This set is also deadly on cats on those sandbar points.

garys
Spike Buck

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down