mineral pond or water hole food plot

Go down

mineral pond or water hole food plot Empty mineral pond or water hole food plot

Post by mrtrailcam1 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:04 pm

hey I am looking for some advice on a current water hole thats shallow 10'' deep x 10 foot across it's been here for a long time and I was thinking of adding a mineral to the water or a seed to grow for a kill spot for early bow season.

mineral pond or water hole food plot DSCN6040

mineral pond or water hole food plot PICT0040

mrtrailcam1
mrtrailcam1
Spike Buck

Back to top Go down

mineral pond or water hole food plot Empty Re: mineral pond or water hole food plot

Post by Bryce 21 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:07 pm

I think a mineral site would be good their, it looks like a awesome spot already though.
Bryce 21
Bryce 21
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

mineral pond or water hole food plot Empty Re: mineral pond or water hole food plot

Post by huntinOH on Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:28 pm

Looks like a hot spot! eaither a mineral site or food plot would be great there !!

Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by Sodbuster on Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:50 pm

I'd kill off some grass and plant alsike or crimson for an annual. I think it would be hard to guage how much mineral to add to the pond, make it to strong and nothing will use it. I like your idea. I think I'd plant clover and try to manipulate the water. You could dump a bunch of grape kool-aid in the pond.

Sodbuster
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryce 21 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:34 pm

I'm not so sure on the grape thing, I heard deer are more in favor of kiwi. Now thats the way to go, if you want to get them big boys to come walking in. The more I look at it the more I think a small food plot might be better. Looks like a good spot for whatever you do.

Last edited by Bryce 21 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bryce 21
Bryce 21
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by GHOSTMAN on Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:17 pm

Excellent idea but, I wouldn't pollute the water with anything. I'd do the same as noted and either kill off the weeds or use a swing blade and whack them down near the water and dig a hole giving you some wallowing distance from the water source and they'll lap up the minerals and get a drink asap then getting the minerals in the gut and just might make them eat a bit more.

Make sure those minerals have copper in it along with the other super antler helpers. You'll then have a mineral hole and nice unpolluted water next door! The corn field is the other bonus too! Great spot I say!

Covert Pro Staff
QDMA Member
GHOSTMAN
GHOSTMAN
Giant Non-Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by mrtrailcam1 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:38 pm

I have used grape coolaid in mineral licks here and the deer do love it. I can drive right to this spot with my mower,think i will throw out some clover. funny thing is the river is less then a 100 yards and the deer would rather drink out of this mudhole.

Spike Buck

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryce 21 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:08 pm

Might have to be an experiment I do this summer. Put a two containers out right next to echoter and put a camera on. Wonder which one they will prefer. If we have a summer like last year I think they'll take any water they can get.
Bryce 21
Bryce 21
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum