GJ Hunting Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Food plot seeds

4 posters

Go down

Food plot seeds  Empty Food plot seeds

Post by huntinOH Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:52 pm

Has anyone here messed with the seeds that you can supposedly just toss on the ground and there supposed to grow?? Any reviews on any of these seeds and wich one work the best ? were thinking of putting in some small food plots and we do not have the equipment to plant big ones and this would seem like an easy way if they actually work! Thanks guys!
huntinOH
huntinOH
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

Food plot seeds  Empty Re: Food plot seeds

Post by Sodbuster Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:43 pm

Most of my planting is done by broadcasting seed on top of the ground without breaking ground. Clover, brassica, chicory, winter wheat, and cereal rye all grow well this way. Even grew a 1/2 acre of sorghum this way last year. The best thing to do is to start in the spring and plant in the fall. Start spraying glysophate as soon as it starts greening up and spray as more weeds pop up throughout the spring and summer. You can also add any lime you might need in the spring. If you're doing more than a couple plots, you could do a spring planting of clover and see how it goes, but expect to battle weeds. 24DB (Butyrac) will kill broadleaf weeds in clover without harming the clover, but will kill chicory and brassica. Products with Sethoxydim will kill any grasses including cereal grains and corn. A backpack sprayer is a best friend of a food plotter and land manager. If you take care of the weeds/grasses in the spring and plant in the fall you should have a weed free perennial clover plot that should last several years and you can then over-seed that plot every fall with cereal rye and brassica for extra forage.
Sodbuster
Sodbuster
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by huntinOH Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:40 pm

Hey thanks for taking the time to write that up! So if I start early in the spring controlling the grass and weeds fall will be a good time to plant? And what would be your suggestion to plant?? We want to be able to hunt over it during late fall for deer! Is there a certain plant that you think would work the best ?
huntinOH
huntinOH
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by Sodbuster Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:11 pm

Fall would be the best time to plant. If you're doing more than one plot then you can try different combonation's to see which works the best for you and your deer. Cereal rye (not rye grass) would be a good foundation for each plot. Rye germinates and grows fast and grows just about anywhere. Within 2 weeks after a rain the rye will be a few inches tall and the deer will begin to nibble on it. Rye will also stay green longer than anything else you can plant. After that it depends on what seed is available in your local area. If you can buy seed by the pound at a local farm store or co-op then you can save alot of money. Rye comes in 50 pound bags and can easily be found at farm stores in the fall for under $20. If you have crimson clover available it makes a great fall attraction. Since it's an annual it grows quick and is cold hardy. Brassica's (radish, turnip, rape) are popular plantings, but can be mowed off by the deer rather quickly in small plantings, so it's best to use them as an addition and not the main planting. Perennial clover is my favorite thing to establish. I like a ladino/alsike/red mix. My fall planted clover is always up tall enough for the deer to start eating on by Halloween. You can buy commercial seed blends, but they are over priced, especially when planting several plots. You might check your local Walmart, if they have any food plot seed left then it should be marked down. Evolved Harvest Clover Crush is not a bad seed blend if they have it marked down. I've got a cheap bag of it waiting to be frost seeded into a small plot come March. A combonation of the things I listed should keep the deer coming throughout the season.
Sodbuster
Sodbuster
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by huntinOH Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:31 am

That helps me out allot !! Thank you again!! And I will definitely check out Walmart for seeds !! I do believe I seen a pile of food plot seeds in the hunting section !! Thanks again sodbuster!!
huntinOH
huntinOH
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by garys Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:26 pm

What size plots are you thinking about making? It might be advantageous for you to rent a tractor for a weekend. You can usually rent one for a reasonable amount of money.

garys
Spike Buck

Back to top Go down

Post by huntinOH Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:19 am

These would just be real small plots! Im not sure on the exact sizes yet but I know thet will not be big! But we will definately check out the prices on renting one! It would make it easier!
huntinOH
huntinOH
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by garys Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:23 pm

Around here you can rent a 4 wheel drive tractor with a bucket for around $75 a day. Our USDA/NRCS office has implements that you can rent for around $10 a day. I have a 30 horse 4 wheel drive Kubota with a 5 foot cutting disc and bushog, you can get a LOT done in a day with it. I plant about 20 acres a year with it.

I am working on fixing up a 70 horse Ford 2 wheel drive because I have GREATLY expanded my food plot acreage this year. I will have close to 50 acres to plant for next season and I need bigger toys.

garys
Spike Buck

Back to top Go down

Post by Sodbuster Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:49 pm

Do you plant corn and beans Gary? Wish I had a deer population that required that much planting.
Sodbuster
Sodbuster
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by garys Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:00 am

I concentrate on winter food in my plots. I plant turnips, wheat, clover, and radishes. The southern end of our farm has 350-400 acres of beans to keep them fed in the summer months and they usually leave my plots alone until after the acorns are gone.

garys
Spike Buck

Back to top Go down

Post by Sodbuster Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:47 am

I've never been able to get deer to eat brassica. Have planted it on 4 properties and rape is the only thing they will nibble on. They like to say it takes time for them to learn it's food, but after 10 plus years I'm ready to be done with it. This season was the first time we had standing soybean's in a small plot and those pods were a major draw. Looking at planting some round up ready beans this year. For some reason the deer on that property never do more than lightly browse soybeans, but will mow down cowpeas and lab lab. There is zero ag land around, so you would think they would eat anything that's in front of them, but who can figure deer.
Sodbuster
Sodbuster
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by huntinOH Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:58 pm

garys wrote:Around here you can rent a 4 wheel drive tractor with a bucket for around $75 a day.  Our USDA/NRCS office has implements that you can rent for around $10 a day.  I have a 30 horse 4 wheel drive Kubota with a 5 foot cutting disc and bushog, you can get a LOT done in a day with it.  I plant about 20 acres a year with it.

I am working on fixing up a 70 horse Ford 2 wheel drive because I have GREATLY expanded my food plot acreage this year.  I will have close to 50 acres to plant for next season and I need bigger toys.

For that price it would be worth it ! ! and some good info guys ! Intresting read!
huntinOH
huntinOH
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by garys Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:11 pm

I planted 5 acres of radishes and turnips this year and they never got over 3 inches tall because the deer kept eating them down. I don't know why but the deer LOVE brassicas up here.

garys
Spike Buck

Back to top Go down

Post by ray12 Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:28 pm

I guess deer are like people ! they all like differant things !
ray12
ray12
Admin
Admin

https://gjhunting.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down