Trail camera questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Trail camera questions

Post by jody5353 on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:48 pm

Greetings. Just wanted to pic the minds of you trail cam experts...  \'\'Taunt\'\' Just want to get some ideas... What type of batteries do you use, and why? (alkaline, lithium, re-chargeable) Proper camera mounting-cable lock, security box, or tree mount. What do you recommend, and why? Any info. will be helpful. Thanks, J.
jody5353
Fawn

Back to top Go down

Re: Trail camera questions

Post by Sodbuster on Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:07 pm

I like lithium batteries. On Moultries you can get 8-10 months on a set in pic mode. I also have 3 Moultrie Power Panals and Primos/Wgi/Spypoint external battery packs. I like to hang my cams just above my knee for the best pics. Avoid facing the cam directly at the sun and watch for weeds or low hanging limbs that might sway in the breeze and cause false triggers. When I lock my cams I just use a heavy chain and lock.

Sodbuster
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by ray12 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:57 am

I just use alkaline batts in my cameras !! Lithium battery's definitely last longer though!!   I use allot of rayovac battery's in my cameras but Duracell and energizer battery's last longer  .. If you want to spend a little extra and have battery's that last longer then lithium would be a good choice  and the extra cost should be worth it !!   And as for proper camera mounting usually about waist high is where I hang my cameras !! Some guys hang them high some like there cameras low !   It usually all depends on the area to me !! Also if you hang them low you are more likely to get pictures of fox and coyote wich are always fun to have on camera!!   And like sodbuster said remove anything that is likely to get in the way and set the camera off when there is actually no animal around !!   I love walking up to a camera that has a memory card full of that trophy weed stalk !! You will have his pattern all figured out!! Lol   And I usually do not lock my cameras around here and I did get one stolen this fall !!   I still do not lock my cameras :)I have locks for them but I just never like carrying around a key!!    How you secure your camera is up to you !! If you think there's a high chance of theft lock them up good and Mabey even a security box !! If there's not a huge possibility Mabey even just a dinky little lock on the camera itself to keep someone from checking your sd cards for you!!

~Galen~
ray12
Admin
Admin

http://gjhunting.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by russell.chad48 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:49 am

Look up the label codes of the different types of battery's, their are battery's for different types of weather. Cold weather battery's will have blue on the label, they hold a charge when others will not. Also try looking up a company named stic-n-pic they make accessories for trail cams so you no longer depend on trees or cheap plastic post and lastly do yourself a favor and look into DLC Covert Scouting Cams. I am running 75 sets using these companies and their products, I average 7000 pics a night and only change my batteries once a year....

russell.chad48
Fawn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum