GJ Hunting Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Watch out for Ants

4 posters

Go down

Watch out for Ants Empty Watch out for Ants

Post by Sodbuster Mon May 12, 2014 6:32 pm

Went to move my D-444 and the ants had made it their home. Couldn't figure out a way to get the cam apart, so had to stick it in the freezer to kill them. After some shaking was able to shake them out of the cam through a hole in the battery compartment. The cam seem's fine. It took several empty pics the last 3 days/nights, so I assume the ants were causing it to take pics. Should have been proactive with spraying bug spray since I lost 3 cams years ago do to ants, but keeping the Raid on hand from now on when checking cams!
Sodbuster
Sodbuster
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

Watch out for Ants Empty Re: Watch out for Ants

Post by huntinOH Mon May 12, 2014 7:16 pm

Sounds like a real problem ! Did the freezer not do any damage to the camera?
huntinOH
huntinOH
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by Sodbuster Mon May 12, 2014 7:25 pm

It's a nasty sight seeing a swarm of ants crawling in and out of your cam. The freezer didn't do any damage. When you think about it the freezer is no different than the cam being in the field during the winter.
Sodbuster
Sodbuster
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by ray12 Sun May 18, 2014 10:53 pm

Good idea on the freezer ! I would hate to see my cameras ruined by ants ! I get a few squerrls every now and again chewing on my cameras !
ray12
ray12
Admin
Admin

https://gjhunting.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BUDFIELDS Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:03 pm

I had some ants on one of my trail cameras today... I set it out last week just to experiment with it since I just got it.. (You know... NEW TOY) There were NOT inside the case but all over the strap and buckle. I had a can of compressed air in the turck and I blew them all out. I opened the case and NONE were inside. The Raid sounds ike a good idea... I DON'T have any cameras out now. Will stick them out again in early September just to do some more checking..
BUDFIELDS
BUDFIELDS
Fawn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sodbuster Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:50 pm

Had to stick 2 Moultrie Power Panals in the freezer this week. Both were filled with ants and eggs. Had sprayed both of them, but with the amount of rain we've gotten this spring I guess it washed off. Sick and tired of seeing ants and eggs! Been a bad year for them here.
Sodbuster
Sodbuster
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down