GJ Hunting Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Primos X-Cam Blackout

4 posters

Go down

Primos X-Cam Blackout Empty Primos X-Cam Blackout

Post by J.K. Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:31 pm

Primos X-Cam Blackout 0001013563050_500X500

This camera is ALL black, which fits it's blackout name. The top front has a small door with a lockable swing around latch. When you open the door the 2" Color view screen and programming buttons are visible. On the inside at the top is a USB port and SD card slot, to the right of that there is the on/off switch. Programming was very easy to do. Below the door is the IR's are located, which is triangle in shape and black. Below the array is the indicator light, lens and light sensor. The PIR sensor is centered at the bottom of the camera. At the bottom there is a 1/4 X 20 tri-pod insert and the external battery port. On each side of the bottom there is a round cap that unscrews. Each side holds 2 D batteries. In the menu you have the option of alkaline and NiMH batteries, you must select which one you will be using so that the battery meter show the correct battery strength. The back of the camera has a pipe thru & tree gripers. Instead of a strap going thru the back of the camera like most, the strap has a hook at each end, which goes thru the hole on each triangle that sticks out the sides of the camera. Another feature on this camera is that it has the ability to use a 4 digit password, which can be turned on or off. One thing to note is that if you forget your password you MUST send it into Primos to get it unlocked. The camera also has a Live-Preview mode for making setup very easy.

When I tested it in the dark I could see a VERY faint Glow at a little over 15ft. So far out of all the deer i've gotten on camera with this cam only 2 have noticed the camera at night, and both were within 10 ft of the camera. The nightime picture quality is good, but on 7MP mode night pictures are a bit grainy. On 5MP the night pictures the pictures are still grainy, but not as much as it was on 7MP. Daytime pic quality is very clear, but has a bit of blurr if the subject is moving quickly. Day/night video is good, and can takes vids from 10s-60 seconds long. Video length is adjustable from 10-60 seconds, at 10s intervals. The lowest delay is 5sec, but it was closer to 10. I could only get it to work with 4GB Class 4 SD cards. One was a SanDisk and one was PNY. Primos offeres a 3 year warranty when registered Online. If you use the card that comes with the camera you only get the usual 1 year warranty. The price range for this camera is a little over $200 on ebay and above $250 from retailers.

Flash range is about 55ft. and sensing was just over 50ft. Trigger speeds are 1.62 day and 1.75 night. Battery life was pretty good, lasting from 8/13/12-11/3/12. The camera took close to 2500 Pictures, 182 40sec vids, 48 30sec vids, 27 20sec vids, and 8 10sec vids.

Pictures

Click to enlarge

Primos X-Cam Blackout 1_110

Primos X-Cam Blackout 1_13510

Primos X-Cam Blackout 1_15810

Primos X-Cam Blackout 1_19810

Primos X-Cam Blackout 1_24310

Primos X-Cam Blackout 1_26210

Primos X-Cam Blackout 1_31610

Primos X-Cam Blackout 3_110

Primos X-Cam Blackout 3_310

Primos X-Cam Blackout 3_4010

Primos X-Cam Blackout 9_pic_10

If you have any questions or want more Pics just ask.
Jeff Very Happy
J.K.
J.K.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Primos X-Cam Blackout Empty Re: Primos X-Cam Blackout

Post by Fallguy Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:01 pm

A little grainy for sure at night, great color on daytime pics. I've been watching this one (Tryin' hard over here not to be a one trick pony with all these Bushy's).
Always have great luck on Amazon and with Prime shipping is free!
http://www.amazon.com/Primos-Truth-Black-Disturb-Camera/dp/B004VFOB5U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1352310878&sr=8-2&keywords=primos+xcam+blackout
I think its the same cam, maybe not.
Fallguy
Fallguy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by J.K. Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:33 pm

The cam in the link is the same one in the review. Alot lower price than what I saw it on amazon last Smile

So far i've only had one problem with this cam which is with SD cards. 4GB Class 2's didn't work and 2GB Class 2 & 4's didn't work either. Haven't Tried anything above that.
J.K.
J.K.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fallguy Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:42 pm

Your not alone with the SD problem with this cam, what did end up working?
Fallguy
Fallguy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by J.K. Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:45 pm

PNY & Sandisk 4GB Class 4 cards
J.K.
J.K.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fallguy Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:56 pm

cool, thanks, I'll passit on!
Fallguy
Fallguy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluesman Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:18 pm

I have this cam and the regular IR X Cam.I really like them both.I am using Kingston 8 GB Class 4 cards in mine.I have both hooked to 6 volt externals.Had several issues with both cameras trying to use rechargeable batteries and when the Alkaline batteries started getting weak(about half voltage)I had trouble getting them to turn on.Tried the 6 volt external and problem solved untill they start getting weak but its a lot longer than with internals.
Both have great sensitivity but the Blackout has the worst night pics.I have a Uway XtendIR-B hooked to Blackout which helps a lot.
Bluesman
Bluesman
Buck

Back to top Go down

Post by Fallguy Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:25 pm

His night samples show some pretty good light without much "flashlight" circle goin' on. Not really fond of the D's but we could use more eyes out there. Bluesman, would you buy ANOTHER for $160 DTD?
Fallguy
Fallguy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluesman Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:40 pm

The price is excellent but I am done with Primos cams.Every one I have has been replaced and I have one laying here now(TC60) that was replaced twice and warranty has run out(1 year from the first cam) now and they want 80.00 on top of my shipping cost to send it back for a replacement.I told them enough was enough that I wasn't going to spend another 95.00 on top of what I had spent before to wind up getting another cam that wouldn't work and that had they fixed the problem from the very beginning things wouldn't need to be replaced.They actually had the gall to tell me that they have the best return policy of any Brand out there.That was when I decided to just cut my losses and forget Primos.Now if they paid shipping both ways on a defective cam(especially if the replacement needs sent back) they may have the best return policy.LOL
That being said the replacement Blackout has worked perfect as long as you keep the voltage up on it.
I am replacing broken cams with Coverts.
Bluesman
Bluesman
Buck

Back to top Go down

Post by Fallguy Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:56 pm

Bluesman wrote:The price is excellent but I am done with Primos cams.Every one I have has been replaced and I have one laying here now(TC60) that was replaced twice and warranty has run out(1 year from the first cam) now and they want 80.00 on top of my shipping cost to send it back for a replacement.I told them enough was enough that I wasn't going to spend another 95.00 on top of what I had spent before to wind up getting another cam that wouldn't work and that had they fixed the problem from the very beginning things wouldn't need to be replaced.They actually had the gall to tell me that they have the best return policy of any Brand out there.That was when I decided to just cut my losses and forget Primos.Now if they paid shipping both ways on a defective cam(especially if the replacement needs sent back) they may have the best return policy.LOL
That being said the replacement Blackout has worked perfect as long as you keep the voltage up on it.
I am replacing broken cams with Coverts.
Don't blame you a bit on giving up on them! If every Bushnell I owned had a problem I wouldn't own a single one.
Fallguy
Fallguy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by mrtrailcam1 Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:21 pm

I have only had bad luck with these cams,I am on number 3 and it's defective at this time you have to drive a bus in front of it to get a pic. If you see this cam on sale and get tempted...keep on walking
mrtrailcam1
mrtrailcam1
Spike Buck

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down