GJ Hunting Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

land improvement

3 posters

Go down

land improvement Empty land improvement

Post by scoot12 Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:30 pm

March 26 I hired Jeff Sturgis from whitetailhabitatsolutions.com to come to my 40 acre property to design a plan for me. Have any of you guys heard of him? He does properties all over the midwest and out east and I know he owns land in Michigan and also has a lease about and hour north of me. I will try and take pics before and after. I know I will be hinge cutting certain trees to create doe and buck bedding areas. I have quite a few shooter bucks in the area and I want to keep them on my property and he will help me funnel them by my stands. Thank Scoot

scoot12
Spike Buck

Back to top Go down

land improvement Empty Re: land improvement

Post by GHOSTMAN Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:39 pm

Sounds like a winner to me. Make sure you take some before and after pic's just for yourself just incase. I did civil engineering and a operating engineer for land development and management for 28 years as a career. I still do it on our 800 acres and our neighboring friends 750 acres.

The dove field post I did a while ago is what I did with my dozer. This was all cut over from the loggers when logged out. Cleaned up real nice when done. I'll post a recent food plot expansion I did last year at seasons end and give ya a idea maybe.

You're going to love it once it's done and the wildlife are going to too! Grooming acreage for wildlife sakes is the best thing you could do for them. Keep us posted ok?

Last edited by GHOSTMAN on Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added text)
GHOSTMAN
GHOSTMAN
Giant Non-Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by Sodbuster Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:37 pm

Believe I've heard the name. Glad to see I'm not the only one working and hunting small acreage. I wouldn't get my hopes to high on those bucks staying on your property, better to focus on holding doe's year round. That's what will bring the big bucks and the big one's you've never seen before to your property. Look forward to hearing about your progress.
Sodbuster
Sodbuster
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by GHOSTMAN Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:45 pm

What name is that?
Huge mega plots like I posted aren't always the ticket. As you see in the photo below that one is about 15x30 and I've seen more deer in numbers here at one time than on that big plot. We have the bigger ones for nutritional needs but, still have a tower there.

I sneak tent blinds like in the pic's below because no stands would work in this pine stand and the deer feel protected while eating and racing around like the rut video.
Use whatever works for best for your herd and location by all means. Very Happy
15x30 mini food plot
land improvement 8ptatthefood
land improvement W220-crossshotseeingthetent
GHOSTMAN
GHOSTMAN
Giant Non-Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down