GJ Hunting Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How early do you set-up your stands/blinds?

5 posters

Go down

How early do you set-up your stands/blinds? Empty How early do you set-up your stands/blinds?

Post by Sodbuster Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:30 pm

Bow season starts here Sept 15th and not that my deer even care but I'll set-up my blinds towards the end of July. I'll leave ladder stands up until they need painted and readjust the straps each year. If I use a fixed position, I'll try to have it up at least a month before season. I also try to have all my trails to my stands/blinds and shooting lanes cut in a month or more before season. I always have a few stands and blinds left over that can be set-up in a moments notice during season if need be. When does everybody get their stands and blinds set up?
Sodbuster
Sodbuster
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

How early do you set-up your stands/blinds? Empty Re: How early do you set-up your stands/blinds?

Post by J.K. Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:01 pm

We usually keep our stands up yr round unless it needs painting. If we do move them we try and move it 2-3 weeks before we plan on hunting there. If we set up a blind usually 4-5 weeks....
J.K.
J.K.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

How early do you set-up your stands/blinds? Empty Re: How early do you set-up your stands/blinds?

Post by Wolvenkinde Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:34 pm

Early as possible - basically as soon as I find a spot I want to hunt and have a stand to hang there.  Most all my stands are up year round here at home.   I have one hang-on and climbing sticks available to put in place if I plan to target a new buck I have patterned, and a hang on that I use to hunt the public land out by my camp.  I usually use stands and blinds just for bowhunting and most of that I do on private land so no worries of being stolen.  My rifle and muzzleloading posts are just bare bones, vantage points(nice stump, hump, or log to sit on) overlooking trail intersections or ravine crossings and I still hunt most of a day...for that matter I spot and stalk quite a bit with the bow or Xbow as well.  I learned the art of locking up and staying staying absolutely motionless for long periiods(15 - 30 minutes) when I was very young...back then we had to move to the deer around here when hunting in the big woods where the were very few and far between.

Wolvenkinde
Fawn

Back to top Go down

Post by wv-outdoor Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:17 pm

We usually get ours out the beginning of August. Our season doesn't open until the end of September. For those of you who leave your stands out all year long. If they are the ones with the cables that support the platform. PLEASE check it before getting up there and putting all your weight on it. To many people have been severely injured by doing just that. We take down all of our stands every year for just those reasons and even if they don't have the cables. Also, before we hang them. I'll take them out in the yard and strap them on a tree a couple inches above the ground. Then get up on the platform to check them real good. Better to be safe than sorry!!
wv-outdoor
wv-outdoor
Button buck

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryce 21 Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:00 pm

I leave most of mine set up most of the year, Had one fall in the river so trying to pull it out this weekend. our season starts mid September so I want everything in place and ready to go by September first.
Bryce 21
Bryce 21
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down