GJ Hunting Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Raccoon trapping

2 posters

Go down

Raccoon trapping  Empty Raccoon trapping

Post by ray12 Sun May 20, 2012 9:48 pm

Allot of you guys have raccoons around that are pests! mabey they are eating your deer feed or getting into your trash .. they are easy to catch and you can sell their furs to make some good money!

usually when i am coon trapping i have a few basic tools .. A trowel,Hatchet,stakes,bait,and of course the trap Very Happy

I like to have my stakes about 20 inches long but 18 inches should work good to , the stakes are made from 1/2 inch rebar .. My favorite coon trap would have to be a trap from the 1.5 size duke,victor,bridger the brands all work good! you can buy these traps brand new for about 6 bucks and they will last many many yrs if you dont let them lay outside and dont take care of them!.. and for bait i like to use jack mackeral , you can find it at any dollar general usually for around 1.00 and 1 can should make 3-4 sets and if your lucky you will get your money back easily! , but sardines,marshmellows,peanut butter will work coons will usually eat anything they can get there paws onto!!

when i trap raccoons i like to use a pocket set .. wich is basically poking a hole into the bank of a creek mabey 3 inches above the water line , make the hole 8-10 inches deep and about 3 inches wide (hole size depends on how much eye appeal that ya want!) then shove some jack mackeral into the back of that hole and take you trap of choice and put it infront of the hole , dont get it to close or the coon can just reach over the trap and get the bait without even having to get close to your trap! but dont get it to far out eaither or he can go inbetween the trap and the bank and get the bait! 4-5 inches from the hole is usually the best distance! be sure to stake the trap down good! if the stake wants to slide out easily use two stakes and put them in so they form an X this will make it impossible for a coon to jack it out!

but you can also wire the trap to a cement block or a large stone , the coon will be waiting for you in the morning if you wire it good enough!

Raccoon trapping  Coontr12

thats just one of many sets that can be used for trapping raccoons
ray12
ray12
Admin
Admin

https://gjhunting.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Raccoon trapping  Empty Re: Raccoon trapping

Post by BEAST Mon May 21, 2012 7:55 am

Thanks Galen,
I personally have trapped coon. My favorite set is the dirthole, probably because i normally trap on land. This set is made by dig an around 8 inch deep hole around 2.5" in diameter 45 degrees into a pretty flat surface. Normally you set something at the top of the hole like a rock or branch for backing. The trap is set around six inches back from the whole and a little offset to catch its foot. All these measurements are how I do it but you will learn better how to do it and what works best for you. Also you put the bait in the hole. Beast
BEAST
BEAST
Shooter Buck

Back to top Go down

Post by ray12 Mon May 21, 2012 10:42 pm

Dirtholes work good for coons to!

Raccoon trapping  Dirtho10

Raccoon trapping  42225110

any of you try the DP traps (DP stands for dogproof) they work good in area that have dogs running around ! they are fast to set up and also easy!! and they work
ray12
ray12
Admin
Admin

https://gjhunting.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down