GJ Hunting Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone Here Use Spinner Feeders?

4 posters

Go down

Anyone Here Use Spinner Feeders? Empty Anyone Here Use Spinner Feeders?

Post by NantucketShedHunter Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:12 pm

I have a cheapo 5 gallon spinner feeder which works quite well but does not hold very much.
What do you guys use?
What are you filling the feeder with?
Do you use them year-round?

I was thinking about the Moultrie Easy Fill Spinner Feeder-

http://www.amazon.com/Moultrie-Fill-Tripod-Feeder/dp/B002HHTK2I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1362330686&sr=8-3&keywords=moultrie+easy+fill+tripod+feeder
NantucketShedHunter
NantucketShedHunter
Giant Typical

http://nantucketdeer.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Anyone Here Use Spinner Feeders? Empty Re: Anyone Here Use Spinner Feeders?

Post by GHOSTMAN Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:19 pm

NantucketShedHunter wrote:I have a cheapo 5 gallon spinner feeder which works quite well but does not hold very much.
What do you guys use?
What are you filling the feeder with?
Do you use them year-round?

I was thinking about the Moultrie Easy Fill Spinner Feeder-

http://www.amazon.com/Moultrie-Fill-Tripod-Feeder/dp/B002HHTK2I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1362330686&sr=8-3&keywords=moultrie+easy+fill+tripod+feeder

We use 30 gal up to the 55gal tripod feeders here brah. I put in anything that isn't sensitive to humidity. Clumping type powder bran, protein stuffs, molasses granules prove disastrous.

So far in my opinion this year, the corn on the cob thrown out on the ground has lasted up to 2 weeks without rotting, molding and is moved around somewhat avoiding long ground contact in one place. I wish I had more of it now but, my back surgery prevented me from hauling huge amounts. One 50lb bag full at each camera worked fine.

Anyone Here Use Spinner Feeders? Doencoblookingright
Anyone Here Use Spinner Feeders? ACORN2
GHOSTMAN
GHOSTMAN
Giant Non-Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by Sodbuster Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:34 pm

We have but no longer use a 30 gallon Moultrie and a 55 gallon American Hunter. Since you don't have coons that eliminates your biggest worry. I would get a solar panal to keep the battery charged, check the battery once and awhile so it doesn't corrode, and like G-man said avoid powdery extras. We always used straight corn after we learned first hand not to add anything that can dissolve. Also I would run it on a very low setting or you'll burn through the corn in a hurry.
Sodbuster
Sodbuster
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by GHOSTMAN Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:38 pm

Sodbuster wrote:We have but no longer use a 30 gallon Moultrie and a 55 gallon American Hunter. Since you don't have coons that eliminates your biggest worry. I would get a solar panal to keep the battery charged, check the battery once and awhile so it doesn't corrode, and like G-man said avoid powdery extras. We always used straight corn after we learned first hand not to add anything that can dissolve. Also I would run it on a very low setting or you'll burn through the corn in a hurry.

X2 I have it on 2 feed times, 1 sec, slow spin and the space from the cone to the spinner plate is 1" max. Slow that corn burn (emptying the drum of corn).
GHOSTMAN
GHOSTMAN
Giant Non-Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by NantucketShedHunter Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:05 pm

How long does a full drum of corn last in your feeders?
How many times a day do you set it to go off and for how long?
And how do you keep the feeder from blowing over?
NantucketShedHunter
NantucketShedHunter
Giant Typical

http://nantucketdeer.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ray12 Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:39 pm

They came out with a feeder that throws corn on the cob lasts allot longer then shelled corn! my buddy got a few of them for a few hundred bucks and he really likes them!
ray12
ray12
Admin
Admin

https://gjhunting.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sodbuster Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:52 pm

Don't remember how long the corn lasted. I believe the 30 gallon lasted a month. Never had one blow over. The Moultrie had legs that would spread apart as wide as you wanted and we cut old well pipe for legs on the American Hunter. Some feeders have holes in the legs for stakes, or you could drive some tall stakes and tie the legs to them. One thing we would've rather had is a straight shooter feeder that threw the corn in one concentrated spot. In my experience the deer prefer corn in more of a pile than widely scattered. The spin feeders can really throw the corn out there.
Sodbuster
Sodbuster
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum