GJ Hunting Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

poundage

5 posters

Go down

poundage Empty poundage

Post by Bryce 21 Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:34 pm

How many pounds do you shoot for deer. I've been shooting 50 but I dont think it's enough. Hit the shoulder last year and didn't get good pentration.
Bryce 21
Bryce 21
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

poundage Empty Re: poundage

Post by J.K. Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:51 pm

Think i'm shooting 55lbs. I usually get pretty good penetration at that wieght.
J.K.
J.K.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BEAST Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:10 pm

you can kill a deer with any draw weight almost. With fifty pounds, you are definitely geared to kill, yet most of that has to do with arrows. Find the heaviest arrow and spine that fits your bow. That is about as good of penetration as you are going to get. If you want to crank it up a little but don't make yourself uncomfortable with your draw in the woods. Heavier arrow with the correct spine, is the ticket. Carbon Express Pile Drivers or something. And if you hit the shoulder unless your shooting 90 lbs and mag arrows it hard to break it. Aim a little back and miss that big bone. Just Saying, it not the place to hit. Very Happy
BEAST
BEAST
Shooter Buck

Back to top Go down

Post by Sodbuster Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:47 pm

I shoot 80. I agree with what Beast said. If you want max penetration with lower poundage than you need to shoot a cut on contact 2 blade fixed head. If you watch Ted Nugents show he shoots 45lb and will use a 2 blade head alot of times, especially on the bigger, tougher exotics on his land.
Sodbuster
Sodbuster
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by ray12 Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:32 pm

I shoot 65 pounds out of my bow and could easily crank it up to 70 and still be able to draw it back easily but I usually dont make far shots and its still going to kill the deer if hit good! Mabey not going to be as fast but speed isnt everything! If you shoot a bow that doesnt pull allot I would do as the others have said! use a Cut on contact broardhead! and heavier arrows! if you use a machanical broadhead it loses allot of its power opening the blades but not with a C.O.C broadhead they just keep going! and the reason for the heavier arrow is that it will have allot more punch! a light arrow might go zipping through the air allot faster but when it hits its mark it wont have near the power. its kind of like throwing a wiffle ball or a baseball wich is gona hurt more?
ray12
ray12
Admin
Admin

https://gjhunting.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BEAST Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:07 pm

Agreed. Get cut on contacts. I shoot rages but i pull 60 and have heavy arrows. Wish pudgester still posted he had some wisdom in these things.
BEAST
BEAST
Shooter Buck

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum