GJ Hunting Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Might try the bow !

5 posters

Go down

Might try the bow !  Empty Might try the bow !

Post by huntinOH Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:10 pm

I have an Itch to kill something with my new bow! I was thinking of trying it out on some turkeys! But had a question or two before I decide ! What kind of broad heads would you shoot ? and Is a head shot the way to go or will a good body shot work as good?
huntinOH
huntinOH
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

Might try the bow !  Empty Re: Might try the bow !

Post by garys Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:50 pm

Where to shoot will depend on the broadhead you choose. They make broadheads just for taking headshots, otherwise, take a body shot. I don't have much experience other than what I have read because I will be turkey hunting with my bow next week. I am going to shoot 3 blade rages and try to break wings or backs with it.

garys
Spike Buck

Back to top Go down

Post by snapper1982 Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:18 pm

you can shoot a turkey in the head with any broadhead out there. but the bullheads and gobbler guillotines are for head shots specifically. I personally would get a big cut expandable. practice head shots out to 15 yards and body shots out to 25.

snapper1982
Buck

Back to top Go down

Post by Sodbuster Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:32 pm

I use a fixed blade NAP Thunderhead. I aim just below the head on the neck. Hit high and you hit him square in the head, hit low and you still cut it's neck in half. If you miss left or right you'll have a clean miss. You will have a clean kill or clean miss, and never wound one and they drop in their tracks. I will never take body shots or use my Rage or any expandable on turkey. You will lose as many as you kill taking body shots. Seen this first hand and plenty of times on tv. A ground blind is a must, turkey have no fear of them. Always have a 2nd arrow ready in case you miss because they have no idea what happened and many times you can get a 2nd and even 3rd shot. If you hunt with someone or have another tag, most of the time the others will gather around the fallen bird offering another shot. Once you shoot one with a bow you won't want to use a shotgun on them again. They are a ton of fun to hunt with a bow. You can try a body shot if you want, but jump on him as soon as it goes down, because if it takes off on you the odds are poor for a recovery. They don't leave a blood trail like deer and they can fly.
Sodbuster
Sodbuster
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by snapper1982 Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:04 am

i do not agree that body shots are bad. If you hit the bird where you need to they do not go far. it is possible to loose one but it is just as possible to nick his neck and wound him. that is the reason I said to use a BIG cut expandable. break down as much bone and take out that heart/lungs. I have seen way more birds shot and wounded by hunters with a shotgun that think all they need to do is go out and shoot the bird. They have no idea about their pattern or their guns effective range.

my point is. it is just as easy to loose a bird with a gun as it is with a bow.

snapper1982
Buck

Back to top Go down

Post by huntinOH Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:25 am

Thanks for all the comments guys! I think if I do use my bow I will be trying for a head shot ! I would love to try and whack a head clean off Smile Would you go with a broadhead that is purposely created for head shots on a turkey or would Rage be good heads to use to?
huntinOH
huntinOH
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by snapper1982 Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:38 am

use your rages. reason being. you are just starting out with the bow. rages are easier to practice with and on certain angles if you miss low you are more likely to still recover the bird. buy you some turkey head targets and tape one to your target. set it out there 15 yards and put the rage practice head on. start shooting.

if you decide to go with a bullhead or guillotine. get some old furniture cushions. set them up as a back stop. tie a banana with a string and hang it in front of the cushions. now you have your target.

you will probably get tired of having to carry your bullheads or guillotines in a separate container and then putting them on your arrows once set up. rages just go in the quiver.

snapper1982
Buck

Back to top Go down

Post by ray12 Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:41 am

Hey I like that bannana idea ! Might have to try that out myself !
ray12
ray12
Admin
Admin

https://gjhunting.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by snapper1982 Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:54 am

it works! lol. might want to add a dot on the banana as an aiming point.

snapper1982
Buck

Back to top Go down

Post by Sodbuster Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:08 pm

I have not used a Rage on a neck/head shot and never will. I want a blade that cuts on contact. The neck is narrow and and not thick. I think it's hard to get both blades to deploy and cut on that kind of target. I did see them using them on head shots one time on The Wild Outdoors and every bird ran off that they hit. Have yet to have a fixed blade head not drop them on the spot. My Rage and Thunderheads hit the same when I shoot them. Know a guy who works at a bow shop and says the speciality turkey heads are nothing but a headache to try and tune when people bring them in and they are only accurate out to 20yds.
Sodbuster
Sodbuster
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by ray12 Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:40 pm

I can imagine the turkey broadheads to be a little bit of a pain to get to fly true!
ray12
ray12
Admin
Admin

https://gjhunting.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by garys Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:08 am

I killed 2 birds last week with my bow. Ended up shooting one with a 100 grain rage and one with a 125 grain Slick Trick Magnum. I shot both of them in the body. The rage shot was right in the middle of the back at 37 yards, that turkey went straight down and never flopped. The Slick Trick turkey was at 17 yards, shot him just under the wing joints so he could have flown if he wanted, the broadhead went through and stuck out the other side and the turkey hit the ground, flopped a couple times and was done. I am shooting a Matthews Z7 at about 67 pounds.

garys
Spike Buck

Back to top Go down

Post by snapper1982 Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:44 am

gary those are my experiences as well. congrats!

snapper1982
Buck

Back to top Go down

Post by huntinOH Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:04 pm

Thanks for the feed back on the rage broadheads ! Makes me feel a little better!
huntinOH
huntinOH
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum