GJ Hunting Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any bow hunter's here

5 posters

Go down

Any bow hunter's here  Empty Any bow hunter's here

Post by mrtrailcam1 Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:35 am

I am a bow hunter for the most part and my trailcams are used to give me knowledge of what's on each property I have, I work on ground here in trade for hunting rights and it works out well for me

So any of you guys bowhunt and what bow do you carry. :pirat:
mrtrailcam1
mrtrailcam1
Spike Buck

Back to top Go down

Any bow hunter's here  Empty Re: Any bow hunter's here

Post by Sodbuster Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:55 am

I strictly bowhunt deer/turkey. I still use an old Hoyt Ultramag set at 80lbs. It shoots 0-30 with one pin, will go through anything, and the hunting is not the best around here anymore so I've not worried about updating my bow. Would love to have that new Hoyt Spyder.
Sodbuster
Sodbuster
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by ray12 Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:39 pm

Love to bowhunt here!! I have a Mission Eliminator bow its set on 65 pounds and i can put three arrows in a baseball sized group at about 35 yrds with it!! Hopefully i can get that a bit tighter this summer!
ray12
ray12
Admin
Admin

https://gjhunting.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mrtrailcam1 Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:09 pm

I try and get a new bow every season here mostley so i only lose a few hundred $$ as I usally trade them in,but times are slow and the shop I trade at did not want to do any trades so I kept my bowtech d350 another season here,also have a maitland zeus for just shooting in the yard. gave my son my old mathews so it's kind of a backup bow if need be.He is in college and doesn't get home much during hunting season anymore.

I may just keep my bow one more season,and put money into a newer atv instead.
mrtrailcam1
mrtrailcam1
Spike Buck

Back to top Go down

Post by mrtrailcam1 Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:15 pm

Sodbuster wrote:I strictly bowhunt deer/turkey. I still use an old Hoyt Ultramag set at 80lbs. It shoots 0-30 with one pin, will go through anything, and the hunting is not the best around here anymore so I've not worried about updating my bow. Would love to have that new Hoyt Spyder.

They look nice, In my younger days i shot some pse at 80lbs but new bows shoot just as fast @ 70 anymore seems like all my shots are at under 15 yards anyway as thick as the funnels I like to hunt here.

It was so dry here this year if you didnt have water you didnt have many deer win the season rolled around,I passed on a coulple of good bucks in the first week of are season here then things went down hill fast.
mrtrailcam1
mrtrailcam1
Spike Buck

Back to top Go down

Post by Sodbuster Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:45 pm

mrtrailcam1 wrote:
Sodbuster wrote:I strictly bowhunt deer/turkey. I still use an old Hoyt Ultramag set at 80lbs. It shoots 0-30 with one pin, will go through anything, and the hunting is not the best around here anymore so I've not worried about updating my bow. Would love to have that new Hoyt Spyder.

They look nice, In my younger days i shot some pse at 80lbs but new bows shoot just as fast @ 70 anymore seems like all my shots are at under 15 yards anyway as thick as the funnels I like to hunt here.

It was so dry here this year if you didnt have water you didnt have many deer win the season rolled around,I passed on a coulple of good bucks in the first week of are season here then things went down hill fast.
We own 3 small properties and the faucet turned off Nov 10 for buck sightings and pics here.
Sodbuster
Sodbuster
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by ray12 Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:40 pm

I would like to get a new Hoyt Charger its one of there cheaper bows but its real nice! and would be an upgrade from mine i think!
ray12
ray12
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mrtrailcam1 Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:28 pm

I like some of the new bear line of bows,also would look at a strother or k/k lineup.My gear is pretty top line as it is but My lastest thing I want is a ozone generator to clean my hunting clothes and gear, small one online are 170-250 I amy even build a small room in my basement just to step up my game. So far I clean my clothes and let them hang outside befor I go hunting as it is,but just like a used hat you can wash it and ten min later it smells like it did all year. I just bought new rocky iq scent base layers,and new camo on clearence at wall-e and have my eyes on some new burly rubber boots for next season..I like to buy thing in the off season! on sale.
I know some are going to say hunt the wind and I do but this season I had so many deer that only needed to take a few more yards for a shot only to catch something they didn't like.

mrtrailcam1
mrtrailcam1
Spike Buck

Back to top Go down

Post by GHOSTMAN Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:12 pm

I used to bow hunt and have 2 compounds a PSE Game Sport Graphite and a Starlight.
That tells you how long it's been since I bow hunted. I want a crossbow so I don't have to do the dreaded pull when I see the animal. Call me lazy I guess but, I'll see if the local archery shop will take trades on a decent crossbow.
I just might take it up again then, maybe.
GHOSTMAN
GHOSTMAN
Giant Non-Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by ray12 Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:47 am

I probally should try and keep my scent down a little bit more then i do I usually just hang my clothes out in the fresh air for a few days and let the frost rain and air work on them They usually dont smell at all (to a human nose) Then i store them in a plastic tub with some leaves and stuff that i got from the hunting area then i spray down with scent eliminator when i get out to the woods ! And GM thats why i like the compound bow lol I love drawing back on a deer Its just an awesome feeling when you let that arrow fly!
ray12
ray12
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GHOSTMAN Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:31 pm

I can't ever say I've had a stink issue. I don't do anything out of the ordinary except wash my hunt clothes in scent eliminator soap, spray my outer garments with scent eliminator before and after the hunt. Always shower with scent free soaps and don't use scented shaving cream either!

Get some tampons and get a bottle of your favorite stink and put them in a small Tupperware sandwich container and dump that stinking stuff in there (leave the strings hang outside the container *important*) and close it up tight. When you get close to the stand location hang them in a circle on limbs or bushes where you sit.

If that's not your idea then, I've taken real vanilla (not imitation) and diluted it with water in a spray bottle and while in the stand spray a stream at the nearby tree trunks and leaves high and low so, that smell carries through the woods. Vanilla is a curiosity smell and works well in my area. **Remember not imitation vanilla**
GHOSTMAN
GHOSTMAN
Giant Non-Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by scoot12 Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:10 pm

I am a huge bowhunter and shoot the new Hoyt Charger, I shot a lot of bows and in the mid price point to me there was no comparison. I am like you I love using my cams to know whats in area and traveling time the deer are moving. Scoot

scoot12
Spike Buck

Back to top Go down

Post by ray12 Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:32 pm

I really like the look and feel of the Charger i would like to get one or wait a few more seasons and get a newer Mathews bow
ray12
ray12
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down