GJ Hunting Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mechanical VS fixed blade broadheads

+2
J.K.
huntinOH
6 posters

Go down

Mechanical VS fixed blade broadheads Empty Mechanical VS fixed blade broadheads

Post by huntinOH Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:10 pm

What do you guys shoot?? I like the fixed blade ones i think that they will be allot more reliable if you would hit some bone or mabey even make a shoulder shot . And with the mechanicle heads they usually break after a kill and then you have to buy another expensive broad head and with the fixed heads most times the blades are still is good shape and ready for the next deer unless you hit the shoulder plus they are usually cheaper to buy..

huntinOH
huntinOH
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

Mechanical VS fixed blade broadheads Empty Re: Mechanical VS fixed blade broadheads

Post by J.K. Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:19 pm

So far I've only used Fixed broadheads. They have been G5 Montecs, Muzzy 100's, and N.A.P. Crossfire. This year I am using Tru-Fire Switchblades. I got a pack of broadheads and a pack of practice heads for $40 off of ebay. So far they fly just like field tips Smile
J.K.
J.K.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Mechanical VS fixed blade broadheads Empty Re: Mechanical VS fixed blade broadheads

Post by BEAST Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:17 pm

I so far have only shot thunderheads. I would like to get some rage this year. I know they are expensive but they are prolly without question the best mechanical blade in the business. Feel free to argue with that. Smile The holes they put in deer are huge. I'll prolly get three bladers.
BEAST
BEAST
Shooter Buck

Back to top Go down

Post by BEAST Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:07 pm

JK. I'd watch the blood runner one. Something about it being a not as good penatration and cheapness. Ask pudgester about it he knows more.
BEAST
BEAST
Shooter Buck

Back to top Go down

Post by J.K. Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:03 pm

From the reviews i've read the 3 bladed Bloodrunners have penatration issues, but the 2 bladed do well. I'll be sure to ask pudgester about them before i'd buy em Wink
J.K.
J.K.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BEAST Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:22 am

Do that, and yeah you might be alright with the two bladers.
BEAST
BEAST
Shooter Buck

Back to top Go down

Post by ray12 Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:26 am

I am currently using the 2 bladed rage broad heads I know allot of people that use them and they all love them! my one buddy shot a really nice buck and it made a 3 inch hole all the way through the deer ! bigger then a 12 gauge ! But I am planning on switching over to just a regular fixed broad head because if you hit any hard bone with the rage or any mechanical broadheads they wont penatrate and the broad head will break! But with a fixed blade head if you hit bone it will still penatrate mabey not as far but it will still most likey make a great kill shot!

And then if i ever decide i dont like them i will just use the rage again! But the rage are great broadheads !! Big holes,Big Blood Trails,Short Track Job
ray12
ray12
Admin
Admin

https://gjhunting.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pudgester Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:15 pm

About the blood runners: I personally wouldnt buy them just due to the fact that the head gives way to make the blades expand, but i understand guys have had good luck with them but note that they prolly have bows that shoot over 300 fps so the small reduction wouldnt make much of a difference due to the power of the bow.

Deep Six Big Nasty: Im pretty sure u have to have deep six inserts to get deep six broadheads (easton carbon injexion). One broadhead that's almost like that one is the nap razorcap. check it out.

Good fixed blades are gonna be more reliable for obvious reason(minimal blade movement etc.) But that shouldn't keep u from buying mechanicals. The main rule i stay by is that if u shoot less than 55 lbs, shoot fixed blades. And if ur scared of buying mechanicals cus the blades break u can buy replacement blades.Just my thoughts
pudgester
pudgester
Spike Buck

Back to top Go down

Post by BEAST Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:46 am

Well said pudge. Once again you bowhunting knowledge way surpasses that which i could ever attain Laughing
BEAST
BEAST
Shooter Buck

Back to top Go down

Post by ray12 Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:41 pm

lol .. I will probally end up trying out the fixed blade broadheads this season and see for myself wich ones i think work the best for me !
ray12
ray12
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by J.K. Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:57 pm

BEAST wrote:Well said pudge.
X2 Smile
J.K.
J.K.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sodbuster Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:23 pm

pudgester wrote:Good fixed blades are gonna be more reliable for obvious reason(minimal blade movement etc.) But that shouldn't keep u from buying mechanicals. The main rule i stay by is that if u shoot less than 55 lbs, shoot fixed blades. And if ur scared of buying mechanicals cus the blades break u can buy replacement blades.Just my thoughts

Pudge congratulations! That statement shows you have more archery knowledge than most adult bowhunters. I get sick of hearing about guys who shoot low poundage, ultra light arrows tipped with a mechanical head, and then blame the broadhead for lack of penetration and not finding their deer. Also like the story 'made a perfect shot and didn't find the deer because the blades didn't deploy'. Let's see you didn't find the deer or arrow, but you know the blades didn't deploy, gimme a break! Not only should those guys use fixed blade heads, they should be using cut-on-contact heads like a Magnus Stinger. Of course they could use the Rage 40ke, but they don't want to admit that their 1,000 dollar bow would need that head.

Rant over.
Sodbuster
Sodbuster
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by pudgester Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:28 am

Same here sodbuster, cant stand guys who are just full of themselves and dont use common sense when it comes to hunting, just use the equipment u know will get a clean quick kill, easy as that, guess thats the end of my rant too. Smile
pudgester
pudgester
Spike Buck

Back to top Go down

Post by ray12 Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:58 pm

heres a picture of 3 differant broadheads and there penatration

1st is the magnus stinger
2nd is the rage
3rd is the bloodrunner

Mechanical VS fixed blade broadheads A6cd0e10

they were all shot on the same arrows

this isnt my picture
ray12
ray12
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ray12 Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:11 pm

I dont know how accurate that it was since the target looks like it could have been used before so one of them could have hit a spot that was already shot and went a little further! And im sure that the blood runner would have killed a deer if the shot was placed good !
ray12
ray12
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pudgester Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:46 pm

IMO there's no better test than the real thing. Any broadhead will kill a deer if put in the right spot, a sharpened spoon by all means could kill a deer if it was put in the right spot. The only thing a broadhead changes is the quickness of a kill/chance of finding the animal (blood loss)
pudgester
pudgester
Spike Buck

Back to top Go down

Post by Sodbuster Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:23 pm

ray12 wrote:I dont know how accurate that it was since the target looks like it could have been used before so one of them could have hit a spot that was already shot and went a little further! And im sure that the blood runner would have killed a deer if the shot was placed good !
One thing I do know, and that's I wouldn't want to buy that deer target. Doesn't look like it does a very good job stopping arrows. Wouldn't take long to shoot it up.
Sodbuster
Sodbuster
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down