GJ Hunting Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Great Crossbow Debate

+4
michiganbowbender
ray12
Bryce 21
Sodbuster
8 posters

Go down

The Great Crossbow Debate Empty The Great Crossbow Debate

Post by Sodbuster Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:41 pm

It's the hot button topic in the archery world. It's not legal to use an x-bow during archery season here in Mo, unless you have a doctors note. I expect the x-bow to be legal in the next few years, so I would like to hear the thoughts of the members who have the x-bow legal in their state. Do you feel there are alot more hunters taking part in archery season because they can use an x-bow? Do most hunters still prefer to use a vertical bow over the x-bow? Do you think the deer harvest numbers are greatly increased by the use of crossbows during archery season? Does the x-bow being legal have any negative effect on your bow hunting? Would you prefer the crossbow not be legal during your archery season for any reason?
Sodbuster
Sodbuster
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

The Great Crossbow Debate Empty Re: The Great Crossbow Debate

Post by Bryce 21 Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:57 pm

We can shoot cross bows in Wisconsin. You have to be like 65 years or older to shoot one for deer but for almost all animals you can shoot them. I really like shooting cross bows but I will never go hunting with one of them. I do feel that their are a lot more hunters in the woods but they are all over 65 so I really like it when the old timers are out in the woods. Most of them dont shoot deer they just like to go over, so they can be out where they love it. I really like it that it is legal during bow season, but if the age went down I would not like it. I do not see any negative things with the cross bows.
Bryce 21
Bryce 21
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by ray12 Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:22 am

My first bow kill was with a cross bow ,, I cant see any negative affects of using a cross bow! Its a great weapon for young hunters who are just starting out . its not as easy as it looks with the cross bow its still as hard as using the compound! the deer will still be able to see you move, smell you, and run away without you ever getting a shot! And if they would make the crossbow illigal next it would be compund bow.. so i hope they never ban the x bow in ohio!
ray12
ray12
Admin
Admin

https://gjhunting.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryce 21 Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:12 am

I also forgot to mention that my Grandpa got a crossbow last year and we went a lot more than usaul since he some confedience. I agree with ray that it isn't as easy as it seems.
Bryce 21
Bryce 21
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by michiganbowbender Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:13 am

A couple of years ago our DNR legalized crossbows for everyone to use, previous to that only those with and doctor certified handicap permit were allowed to use them.
Most of what I have read indicates that more hunters are now in the field, but the success rate/number of deer taken has not increased a great deal. While the rule change has given opportunity to those who may not have participated before because of physical limitations etc, I believe many hunters have just switched from using a vertical bow to using a crossbow now.
As far as I am concerned, I have no major issues with the ruling change. If it gets a hunter out there again doing what he loves and he/she is more proficient with a crossbow, then more power to them.

I would much rather see an animal humanely taken with a well aimed crossbow arrow than to see an animal needlessly suffering from a poor arrow placement from a vertical bow.
Some do not take the time, or may not be able to practice as much as needed due to other reasons, develope the proper shooting technique in shooting a vertical bow responsibly.
Those persons should use whatever method gets the job done best for them as long as it is done morally, legally, ethically, and the end result is a clean, quick kill, imo.
michiganbowbender
michiganbowbender
Wise Doe

Back to top Go down

Post by BEAST Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:37 pm

I agree with what was said to some degree. What really makes me mad about crossbows is when guys act like their rifles. One of my friends hunts on public land several times he's witnessed this being done. Once a guy, who was sitting crosslegged at the edge of a field smoking, took a running shot at a deer at 60 yards. When that man was walking in he was talking with his buddy about how he was shooting through a target at a hundred yards that same day. To cap it off the guy wanted to impress his friend with the power of that things so he put a bolt in and fired right into the ground at his feet. This is the aspect of having crossbows in the woods that scares me. they are easier to abuse than a compound. Anyway enough on that rant. And as for me, i won't be caught dead in the woods with one of them as long as i can shoot vertical. Beast

Also i know some guys that have shoulder problems or don't have the time to give a compound adequate practice that are very respectable hunters, so crossbows is logical for them. There is good sides to those things.
BEAST
BEAST
Shooter Buck

Back to top Go down

Post by BUDFIELDS Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:52 pm

I am a "NEWBIE" here.... Just joined a day or so ago.. I was one of the fellas that ALWAYS stated, "I WILL NEVER SHOOT A CROSSBOW...I AM A BOWHUNTER." Well let me clear the air on that... I was YOUNGER, TOUGHER and considered myself a "MAN OF STEEL." NOTHING WOULD HAPPEN TO ME!!!"

A few years later, I suffered a couple physical injuries that required MAJOR surgeries and re-construction. SHortly after that, Arthritis set in making MANY THINGS painful and impossible to do... that INCLUDED bowhuntng. used to shoot HUNDREDS of arrows a session practicing in he yard and it got to where I backed the poundage down to almost NOTHING and the pain continued. It ws NO LONGER FUN TO BOWHUNT.

I ALWAYS considered myself a DEDICATED, ETHICAL bowhunter being selective on my shot opportunities. I NEVER wanted to risk the chance of injurying or crippling a deer and NOT recovering it and I talked with my doctors and surgeons and expolained my situation. They told me I should CONSIDER a crossbow OR... QUITTING ALL TOGETHER. I had bowhunted since 1964. I had taken several hunred deer, made so many friends and GREAT MEMORIES and I did NOT want to consider QUITTING.

One of my buddies brought his crossbow over for me to try. I REALLY was NOT too interested but soon, I was shooing SUPER TIGHT groups of arrows and felt NO PAIN and the fun was BACK IN ARCHERY for me.. This occurred maybe 5 years ago and I am STILL enjoying bowhunting and I have NO PROBLEM supporting crossbows for people,like myself that can NO longer physically draw a recurve or compound bow. I feel "we" are STRONGER in numbers.. IF a crossbow will help gain a new archer, maybe a lady or younger hunter that cannot draw aheavy bow or help a "seasoned " hunter like myself remain hunting... WHY NOT... I am in FULL SUPPORT.. I am NOT trying to offend ANYONE just wanted to express my opinion..

BUDFIELDS
BUDFIELDS
Fawn

Back to top Go down

Post by jody5353 Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:33 am

Crossbows are here to stay! Enough said?? I am sooo sick of hearing about how x-bows have ruined deer hunting, or how everyone that uses them is taking 100yd shots at deer and how "any body" can shoot a deer with one! Hmmm well, I will be going into my 4th season with mine, and I most certainly do not see how it is any easier to hunt deer with it... It is Deer Hunting! If was supposed to be easy. I would not love it as much as I do. As with any weapon of choice, You need to know the limitations of it, and your own. To me, it is just as challenging as with my compound. I still use my vert. bow, just as much. All depends on the weather, or which one I want to take that day... As long as you can deer hunt (or whatever you love to hunt) what does it matter what you use?? Just as long as it is legal and ethical...
jody5353
jody5353
Fawn

Back to top Go down

Post by garys Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:55 pm

I have lived and hunted in states that allow and states that don't allow crossbows. I honestly can't tell any difference other than people that aren't phyiscally able to draw a legal compound can shoot a crossbow. I think it is easier to kill a deer with a crossbow simply because you loose the movement of actually drawing the bow. Other than that, they loose speed and energy faster than compound bows, they are heavier, and aren't nearly as compact. I will never give up my vertical bow as long as I am able to shoot it, but, I see no reason not to allow them for anyone that wants to hunt with them. I am really hoping they are legal here by the time my little girl gets old enough to hunt. I am fairly certain that she will be able to pull the trigger on a crossbow long before she will be able to pull a 45 pound compound bow.

garys
Spike Buck

Back to top Go down

Post by BUDFIELDS Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:32 pm

Other than NOT having to MANUALLY draw the bow back before every shot, you STILL have to be in the RIGHT place at the RIGHT time, estimate yardage, make the movements to position your body for the shot and NOT be detected by the deer as you execute the shot.. I have yet to attempt a shot beyond 30 yards at a deer and I would NOT attempt those 100-200 yard shots I have heard about. IF I were still capable of executing the shot and hunting with a "verticle" bow, I would STILL be using one and I am NOT trying to kid anyone, I would personally prefer to do that but I cannot and the crossbow has allowed me to remain hunting..
BUDFIELDS
BUDFIELDS
Fawn

Back to top Go down

Post by ray12 Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:19 pm

I could not be less concerned what kind of a bow someone is shooting ! Cross bow , compound or recurve , Ect. There is still skill involved in getting within range , not getting busted when aiming and just the everyday hunting knowledge ! For me I can shoot further and more accurate with my com pound bow then I can with the x bow ! I'm cheating ! Lol. Shoot what you like and what works the best in your situation !
ray12
ray12
Admin
Admin

https://gjhunting.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down