GJ Hunting Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just want something small

3 posters

Go down

Just want something small  Empty Just want something small

Post by ray12 Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:11 pm

We moved this summer and so were on a new property and i would like to put a small plot in on top of one of the hills I dont want a big plot at all just something that will attract a few deer to that area Is it to late to plant something and what would you guys put in? Theres a cornfield on our property to but theres no good way to hunt it or get good pics from that area.. What would you guys suggest planting ?
ray12
ray12
Admin
Admin

https://gjhunting.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Just want something small  Empty Re: Just want something small

Post by Sodbuster Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:54 pm

Best to start working now on your fall plot. Will you be breaking ground or broadcasting on top of the ground? Do you want a perenial plot? What is the size of this plot? Is the soil good on this spot?

The first thing to do is to spray this spot right now with glysophate. If breaking ground, wait for the vegetation to die, work it up and spray any regrowth, then keep reworking and respraying the spot if needed to kill all the weeds. This will give you a weed free plot. Every time you disturb the soil new weeds will come up from the dormant seed that's been laying in the soil for decades. You can add lime now also if needed. On a small plot I would plant clover. Plant winter wheat or cereal rye with your clover for your fall planting. You could also throw in a very small amount of brassica. Before you can seed you need to measure the plot and know the exact acreage. I plant many small hunting plots and it is very easy to do, just need to have a few of my ?'s answered.
Sodbuster
Sodbuster
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by ray12 Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:57 am

I would probally break some ground since there is some tall grass in the area the soil is verry good in this area and the I have not figured how large i want the plot yet , i know it would not be verry big but still want it big enough to attract deer what would you say is a good size plot ?
ray12
ray12
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sodbuster Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:51 am

My plots go from the size of a garden up to 3/4 acre. I don't have high deer numbers, so they can't even keep 1/8 acre eaten down. If using a tractor I'd make it an acre. I'd make a 1/2 acre perennial clover plot and put the other half in annuals. I can't get deer to eat brassica, but I bet they'd go over big in your area. I'd plant the annual half in wheat or rye, brassica, and austrian winter peas. You'll still want to add rye/wheat to your clover half this fall. In the spring you can plant your annual half in soybean or cowpeas. Start working on killing the grass and weeds ASAP. You could plant the whole acre in annuals if you don't think the grass and weeds will be under control and plant clover next year. I plant my fall plots the first of Sept, you probably need to plant yours earlier since your climate is much different from mine.
Sodbuster
Sodbuster
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by ray12 Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:33 pm

Hey thanks this helps out allot will have to get on the weeds as soon as i can !
ray12
ray12
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sodbuster Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:38 pm

If you can choose where to put your plot, take into account the hunting aspect of it, if you plan to hunt over it. Pay attention to wind direction, best stand/blind locations, your entry/exit routes, and where the deer will come and go to and from the plot. Nothing worse than putting your plot in and realizing it needed to be moved 30 yards over in one direction. Once you see even a yearling eating what you planted, you'll be addicted and wanting to plant more and more every year.
Sodbuster
Sodbuster
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by BEAST Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:38 am

Sodbuster, I'm working on a plot in very poor soil. It is where guys tore the earth up to put a gas well in. Anyway, what would you suggest planting there to help rebuild the soil. Thanks, BEAST
BEAST
BEAST
Shooter Buck

Back to top Go down

Post by Sodbuster Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:46 am

BEAST wrote:Sodbuster, I'm working on a plot in very poor soil. It is where guys tore the earth up to put a gas well in. Anyway, what would you suggest planting there to help rebuild the soil. Thanks, BEAST
Buckwheat and cereal rye are great soil builders and both grow on poor ground. If you can disc them in it will make a big difference. I would plant rye this fall, disc it into the ground in spring, then plant buckwheat, disc the buckwheat in, and plant more rye in the fall. Repeat the process until you get the soil where you want it. Red clover will also make a good soil builder. May take 2-3 years to really get the soil where you want it.
Sodbuster
Sodbuster
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by BEAST Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:06 am

How is those in attracting deer.
BEAST
BEAST
Shooter Buck

Back to top Go down

Post by Sodbuster Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:05 pm

Rye is one of the oldest deer plantings around. It will still be green when everything else is dormant. It never goes dormant in my area. Some deer eat Buckwheat right away, mine only eat the hard seed off the top of it once it matures.
Sodbuster
Sodbuster
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by ray12 Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:17 pm

Sodbuster wrote:If you can choose where to put your plot, take into account the hunting aspect of it, if you plan to hunt over it. Pay attention to wind direction, best stand/blind locations, your entry/exit routes, and where the deer will come and go to and from the plot. Nothing worse than putting your plot in and realizing it needed to be moved 30 yards over in one direction. Once you see even a yearling eating what you planted, you'll be addicted and wanting to plant more and more every year.

thanks for that reminder will take that into consideration ! and I can see that it will get addicting Smile
ray12
ray12
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down