GJ Hunting Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mineral's Question...

4 posters

Go down

Mineral's Question... Empty Mineral's Question...

Post by trailcamgal Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:35 pm

Since my boys have started losing their head gear, I want to put out Salt/Minerals for the regrowth...

Now for my question, Would blocks or loose work better?

trailcamgal
trailcamgal
Giant Typical

https://www.facebook.com/VictoriaSextonCrossposter?ref=tn_tnmn

Back to top Go down

Mineral's Question... Empty Re: Mineral's Question...

Post by Bryce 21 Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:50 pm

I seem to like blocks better for some reason. I have better luck with them.
Bryce 21
Bryce 21
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by Sodbuster Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:54 pm

If you want bigger racks then you should buy some protein pellets and mix in with your corn everyday. Many wait til summer to add protein, but I can tell you from experience feeding protein before green up has a dramatic effect in more growth. As for minerals, studies have never proven that they help antler growth, but they do help overall health. I use Buck Lickers Magnum block, it's 50lbs, used almost daily, last over a year and only cost 10 bucks. I've tried the Arm and Hammer recipe and didn't have great results. I've dumped straight trace mineral on the ground and had the deer seek it out. Usually I'll mix the trace mineral into the dirt and dump Buck Jam on top of it. You can use Deer Cane instead of Jam, but I find deer only like to use my Cane in the spring, where as the Jam is used more year round.
Sodbuster
Sodbuster
Giant Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by GHOSTMAN Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:10 pm

For bulk dumps I use Trace range mineral w/copper(in the blue topped bag)from Tractor Supply. I dump it out directly and in the already wallowed out holes. I've used deer cane liquid, gel and block, Lucky buck powder, WTI 30:06 granular, 33lb mineral food block like put out now. Having a protein feeder is best for antlers and I suggest using Purina deer products in it. Copper does attribute to antler growth. Minerals are best for overall deer herd health and for lactating or gestation doe's not to mention all the others running a muck out there.

Note: If anything used has to be protected from moisture make sure you do that or you'll waste all that $$$ on failure. They wont eat molded or rotten food of course. Do it now, as time is crucial here.
GHOSTMAN
GHOSTMAN
Giant Non-Typical

Back to top Go down

Post by trailcamgal Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:30 pm

Thanks everyone for your input.... I think I am going to go with a protein/mineral block from TSC....
trailcamgal
trailcamgal
Giant Typical

https://www.facebook.com/VictoriaSextonCrossposter?ref=tn_tnmn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down